Tuesday, February 3, 2015

We're Engaged!




So after 4.5 years of dating this wonderful, handsome, intelligent, comforting, science fiction loving guy, he asked me to marry him.


YAY!

I am very sarcastic, and joke around a lot. I don't think I say enough how wonderful Nick is, and how I truly can't imagine my life without him.

He reassures me when I'm anxious, thinks my awkward sense of humor is charming, answers my geography and history questions without looking at me like I'm an idiot, tells me I'm beautiful everyday, makes me feel worthy, and appreciates things about me that no one has ever noticed.

I can't wait to marry this guy, have mini's with this guy, and be old and feisty with this guy.

It was Sunday, December 21st, the Winter Solstice. I was extremely sick, and had missed a week of work so was pretty much hating the world & everything on/in it at this point. We were supposed to go to Leavenworth the day before, but I was still too sick. By Sunday, I had started to feel a little bit better. I ran some errands, got my starbucks fix and went to the thrift store (typical.) When I got home, Nick was waiting and said he wanted to go "do something Christmassy." I told him I didn't really feel good, but he convinced me by saying, "Come on. We haven't done anything Christmassy since you've been sick. You love Christmas!" It took about five seconds to change my mind.

We got in the car & Nick did a good job of pretending to decide where we were going. He even added in some "hmmmmm" sounds while he was driving to make it seem like he still hadn't decided on an exact place to propose. Tricky son of a gun.

He said he wanted to walk around lake Washington.

On Nick & I's second date, back in June 2010 he took me to Lake Wilderness close to where we both grew up. To be honest, I never really liked the area. I don't have the best memories from Maple Valley but one that will always be special to me, was this night.

We drove to Lake Wilderness and after me making one too many awkward jokes (that were actually fair warnings) about "hope we don't get murdered or you aren't planning on killing me..." "good thing I brought my pepper spray!" Nick didn't seem to be freaked out by my paranoia, but instead began to reassure me that we would not get murdered, and that he had brass knuckles which was a good sign. Not sure why he felt the need to have brass knuckles, but also not sure why I have a taser/pepper spray squeezed into my handbag.

We walked out onto the dock and we sat down. It was dark, and even though this would usually absolutely terrify me, I felt at ease. We ended up laying on the dock, and talking for about an hour. I told him about my family, sad things that had happened, funny things that had happened and all of the times in between and he told me all of his. I can't sit here and tell you this was one of those dinner dates where I had the perfect witty response to everything, or where he clumsily dropped his fork on the floor and bumped his head on the way back up to the table. Our date was far from a movie moment, but to me, it was perfect. I think it was in that moment at the lake that I realized first impressions are not everything, and that this was someone who finally understood me, and why I liked to sit in the parking lot alone listening to Fast Car.

I never felt the kind of understanding with someone that I feel with Nick, and that sense of security is something I hope everyone someday finds.

When we pulled up to Lake Washington, I thought back to that date and brought it up. "Do you remember our date at Lake Wilderness? That was like, really romantic, we are cute."

^Joking Tiffany is back.

Nick followed that up with a suggestive comment, as he usually does.

We walked around and looked at all of the lights, and when the Christmas lights ended Nick said he wanted to keep walking. "It's dark. What if we get murdered?" (I obviously haven't changed much.)
"We won't. Lets keep walking."

We walked down to where no one was, and he took me out onto a dock that had some sail boats. It was completely dark but the lake was lit up from the city.

I will save you the rest of the romantic lighting details, and the emotional talk we had about what we would name our kids while standing on the dock, (though it was a nice touch...) and get to the main event.

I told Nick how great this was, and in original Lonnie Tolley style he said, "There is only one thing that could make this night better," I turned around and he was on his knee.

and in original Tiffany Shane style, I screamed, grabbed the ring out of the box, put it on my finger and hugged him.

He started laughing and said, "I think you were supposed to let me put it on your hand..."


I can't wait to be on this journey with you Nick. For all of the future nights, (some that have already happened) that I cry over planning, get stressed out about litle details, and panic about offending the wedding planner, the bridal store people, the guy in line at starbucks or whatever else in the next year and a half, forgive me. Because all that matters that day is that you are the guy that understands me, loves me, and accepts me whole heartedly.
 
 

Let the planning begin!






 





No comments:

Post a Comment